In this article, we will first give a brief introduction that what DNS Servers are, and after that, we will highlight some of the Best DNS Servers for Gaming. including both the Free & Public DNS as well.
What a DNS is?
DNS stands for Domain Name System. This System is basically a development of a classified domain-based system that is known as a scheme and a database that is distributed to execute this naming scheme.
The sole purpose of the Domain Name System is that it is mainly used for mapping hostnames to the IP addresses, but apart from this, it can also be used for other tenacities too. DNS gives the convention that permits the customer and servers to get in communication with each other.
Now, let us characterize another wording that is DNS Server.
Domain Name System server or name server is a PC that contains the database and the product for mapping between area names and open IP addresses.
Each area has a DNS server that handles demands going to a PC and makes an interpretation of space name to novel IP address. Your ISP consequently allocates DNS server addresses at whatever point your PC required it. Domain Name System server mainly performs two main functions
- It acknowledges demand from browsers to guide domain name into an IP address.
- It acknowledges demand from different DNS servers to map domain name into an IP address.
How to find the best DNS server for you
Now there is a simple way to find your DNS server’s speed by using DNS Benchmark tool released by GRC.
How to use DNS Benchmark?
DNS Benchmark bundled with a list of all popular public DNS servers and automatically includes the DNS servers that are being used by the host system. In addition, the host also has the option of manually adding any DNS server benchmark. You can use it for DNS speed test.
After you run the small program just click on Run Benchmark. It will automatically test all the name servers present in the list for performance. It also offers a helpful summary and list of recommendations based on the result of the benchmark.
GRC has built a reputation for developing high quality freeware. DNSBenchmark is no different. Like all GRC freeware, DNS Benchmark is a tiny software which doesn’t require any installation.
Use it, if you want to find out which DNS server is fastest for you. My results are shown above. Did you get similar results? Or were they completely different? Don’t forget to let us know.
- Download DNS Benchmark (150 KB)
- License: Freeware
- Operating System: Windows all (Linux and Mac through Wine)
Do let us know if you are using any other DNS benchmarking tool to find the fastest DNS for your ISP?
1. Google DNS Server
Top of the list DNS server is undoubtedly Google’s DNS Server. Google is the world’s largest DNS service provider. This DNS Server is one of the most famous and publically free DNS Server. The main feature it has is that it aims to boost up the browsing experience with enhanced security, plus a gaming experience with lag free and smooth gaming.
In order to use Google’s DNS server, one has to configure the DNS settings of its network just by simply following these IP addresses.
- Preferred DNS Server: 188.8.131.52
- Alternate DNS Server: 184.108.40.206
- Free for everyone to use.
- No filters.
- It’s reliable.
- Business users may find it too simple (i.e. no domain blocking)
2. – Yandex DNS Servers
Perhaps one of the oldest DNS on the list is Yandex DNS that is good for people who want to block malicious domains, and it is a lot more popular than some of the other options available in the market, but the most important thing that you need to know about Yandex DNS is that it is particularly low on some of the security features, so you must keep in mind.
Basic – Quick and reliable DNS
Safe – Protection from virus and fraudulent content
Family – Without adult content
- Great for people looking for protection against malicious content.
- Pretty reliable when it comes to speed.
- No evident downtime.
- Not a lot of security features.
- The traffic is routed through the Russian Federation.
3. – OpenDNS
This DNS Server that is “OpenDNS” delivers a cloud-delivered network security service that provides shielding against dangerous attacks over the network devices. Their sole purpose is to provide their user with a faster and safer internet with downtime limited to zero.
One more advantage is that it provides a smooth gaming experience too. In order to use this public DNS server, one should configure the Domain Name System settings of its network just by using this DNS IP addresses.
- Preferred DNS Server: 220.127.116.11
- Alternate DNS Server: 18.104.22.168
- It has phishing protection so you are protected from fake websites.
- You can block websites individually or by one of the 40+ filters.
- No evident downtime.
- Stats (Charts, requests, domains, blocked, etc).
- On free plan if a url does not resolve you will see a page with ads.
- The website voting can be highly inaccurate.
4. – Comodo Secure DNS
On number 4 of our list is Comodo Secure DNS Server. It is a DNS Server that delivers a faster and more dependable internet browsing experience. It is better to use Comodo Secure DNS rather than the DNS servers are given to us by our Internet Service Provider (ISP provider).
Their aim is to deliver an internet service, whose speed is better, is more dependable and is a safer one to browse through. Speedier DNS means a much faster gaming experience. In order to use Comodo Secure DNS, you have to configure the DNS settings of your networks by using the following DNS IP addresses.
- Preferred DNS Server: 22.214.171.124
- Alternate DNS Server: 126.96.36.199
5. – CloudFlare DNS
Cloudflare claims it is “the Internet’s fastest, privacy-first consumer DNS service.” While OpenDNS and Google DNS both exist, Cloudflare is focusing heavily on the privacy aspect of its own DNS service with a promise to wipe all logs of DNS queries within 24 hours.
- DNS Server: 188.8.131.52
So above stated were the 5 top DNS Servers for gaming as well as for secure, safer, smoother browsing and surfing.
6. DNS Advantage
It is one of the Fastest DNS Servers available online that offers the Best Browsing experience.
It loads the websites much faster and safer than the others.
In order to use it all you need is to configure the preferred/alternate DNS servers with the following details below:
- Preferred DNS Server – 184.108.40.206
- Alternate DNS Server – 220.127.116.11
The next on the list in “OpenNic” and like many other DNS Servers OpenNic is the best alternative of your default DNS Server.
However, the best part is it will protect your laptop/pc from attackers and even from the government.
Hence maintaining your privacy at a very high level.
So if you want to use it set your preferred and alternate DNS servers to be:
- Preferred DNS Server – 18.104.22.168
- Alternative DNS Server – 22.214.171.124
Similar to other mentioned above options, DYN offers the same fast and secure web browsing experience to its users.
With smoother browsing, it also protects your information from most phishing attacks and hackers.
So in order to use it, all you need is to set your preferred and alternate DNS servers to:
- Preferred DNS Server – 126.96.36.199
- Alternate DNS Server – 188.8.131.52
Another very known DNS Service called Safe DNS is the best option for those who like to protect their Laptop/PC from attacks.
In order to use it, one can set their preferred and alternate DNS servers to:
- Preferred DNS Server – 184.108.40.206
- Alternate DNS Server – 220.127.116.11
Last but definitely not the least “DNS.watch” is the free DNS service in the list.
It provides uncensored, fast and stable web browsing experience and that too for free of cost.
In order to use it, one should set their preferred and alternate DNS servers to:
- Preferred DNS Server – 18.104.22.168
- Alternate DNS Server – 22.214.171.124
How do I change my DNS on Windows?
- Hit Start and type Network Status (or right-click on your Wi-Fi icon and pick Open Network and Internet settings).
- Click on Change Adapter Settings.
- Right-click on your active network connection, then hit Properties.
- Left-click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and hit Properties. (If you use IPv6, change that one also/instead.)
- Click on “Use the following DNS server addresses:” and type in one of the DNS server addresses I’ve listed above.
How do I change DNS on Mac?
- System Preferences
- Click Advanced.
- Click the DNS tab
- Click the little + sign at the lower left to add a new DNS server
- Type in the numbers of a public DNS server (see our suggestions in the Windows section above)
- Click OK
- Click Apply
Experience the thrilling gaming experience remotely on any device(PC/Mac/Android/iOS) by moving your PC games onto cloud-hosted Citrix vdi from CloudDesktopOnline available cheap xendesktop cost.
You can also try out add-ons like Hosted SharePoint, Exchange and Office 365 Enterprise E5 suite powered by O365CloudExperts.com.
So this was all regarding the 10 Best DNS Servers for Gaming.
Found something interesting or useful? Let us know in the comment section below, would love to hear that.